"Your Top 10% of Subscribers Open 8x More Emails"
We looked at all our AgilOne Clients' email engagements with their customer subscription base over a 30 day period. We were looking to understand how much more engaged top subscribers ("enthusiasts") are vs. the regular subscribers ("Main-Street"). On Average, an Enthusiast opens 8x more emails than a Main-Street customer. Here is a break down of those averages by industry. As you can see, in Publishing and Health & Beauty, engaged subscribers are opening a significant amount more emails. On the other end - Jewelry, Airlines and Electronics tend to have a lower engagement from their top customers.
Immediate Email Insights For You:
High engagement industries (like publishing) should leverage high open, click, and engagement rates to further personalize recommendations! Our publishing clients have seen dramatic increases in revenue & retention through basing their recommendations on customer behavior vs. what type of books the customer says they like
Lower engaged industries should strategically decrease emails that are batch & blast and use life-cycle marketing, or more sophisticated models, to better target customers and lift engagement.
So how can you leverage knowledge like this for your business? Here's 5 ways!
1. With your enthusiast clicking and reading through more emails - you have that much more data on what they prefer so you can personalize your emails, their web experiences and more!
2. Get your regular subscribers to open more with relevant emails that speak to their life-cycle like replenishment, anniversary, special occasion, new items, sales
3. Provide your enthusiasts VIP experiences! Recognize their engagement with you brand and send just them special emails, promotions, etc.
4. Leverage predictive analytics to understand what they will buy next and from what channel - check out how other top retailers utilize predictive marketing in their reach outs
5. Understanding who is most engaged with you via email can lend to omni-channel campaigns! For example, send them an email directing them to a store event or a store closest to them to drive brick & mortar foot traffic
Top Retail News & Insights
Every Friday we post top trending retail news for you and are now introducing a fun fact to help you benchmark your marketing efforts against peers. Get the articles here.
Although research indicates that lifecycle email marketing generates nine times greater results, few email marketers are taking advantage of this strategy. Marketers are confused about where to begin and are mainly concerned about the additional work which is required to implement the one-to-one strategy.
2. Business 2 Community: The 5 Missed Opportunities of Email Marketing
- Next Purchase
3. Content Standard by Skyword: 4 Email Marketing Tips to Improve Your 2016 ROI
Email is really the only channel that you completely own as a marketer. You have 100 percent control of your message: You control who it goes out to, when it goes out, and what the message says. Thanks to its relatively low cost, email delivers the highest ROI for marketers. For every $1 spent, email marketing generates $38 in ROI.
4. USA Today: Retail sales are due to bounce back
After doing all the heavy lifting for the economy last year, consumers have barely broken a sweat so far in 2016, making for sluggish retail sales. Reports this week on March economic activity will reveal whether shoppers loosened the purse strings a bit, a recent pickup in inflation was sustained and weak industrial production began to perk up.
5. Business Insider: The Top 5 Must-Know Retail Trends in Mobile and Social Marketing
- Smartphones are already the leading consumer touch point for retailers
- Expect an uptick in shopping app usage
- Beacons are finally going mainstream this holiday season
- Facebook is driving social commerce actions
- Mainstream media and celebrities are making affiliate marketing popular again